Friday, July 3, 2009
The Health Ministry announced two new H1N1cases, known as swine flu, bringing the total number of human infections in Egypt to 71 cases so far.
Health Ministry spokesman, Dr. Abdel Rahman Shahin, said 51 cases have been cured, while 20 more are still receiving treatment, but are in good condition.
In press statements yesterday, Shahin said that case no. 70 is a 39-year-old Somali who had arrived at Cairo Airport with his son on June 30. The Cairo Airport Quarantine sent him to a hospital in Cairo for Tamiflu treatment, and his condition is stable.
He said: “Case no. 71 is an 8-year-old Egyptian from Sharkia. He is a relative of a previous positive case. He is isolated in a hospital in Cairo for treatment, and his condition is stable.”
Meanwhile, the Cairo International Airport Quarantine authorities have yesterday examined 16,000 passengers who have arrived on board 114 flights from around the world.
In the same regard, the Hajj and Umrah Committee of the Saudi Chamber in Jeddah said the Hajj Ministry has last week reduced the operational plans for the Umrah season in the months of Rajab and Sha'ban by 10%, so as to limit the spread of swine flu during the Umrah season.
In a regular meeting that turned into an emergency meeting, the committee said that hotel bookings in the last ten days of Ramadan and in the pilgrimage season have dropped by nearly 30% compared to the same period last year.
It said that the current bookings are estimated at 60%, half of which is unconfirmed. Also, the possibility of canceling hotel bookings is very high, particularly as the actual cancellations, until the day before yesterday, have been estimated at about 20%.
Globally, the most recent count by the World Health Organization said the virus hit 77,201 people in 120 countries and regions, resulting in 332 deaths. Also, the number of registered patients has increased by 6,308 patients since the last toll that was posted on the organization’s website last Monday.